Monday 8 June 2009

Sunshine Barry and the Disco Worms


Sydney Film Festival.

I took the family (4yo, 6yo and 40+) to see Sunshine Barry and the Disco Worms at the Sydney Film Festival today. Of the four children's films this is the one that seemed most suitable for the 4yo despite the program suggesting it was for 6 and over. The audience was large and there were a lot of under sixes there, so other families seemed to have the same idea. I think, however, the program was right. While the 4yo sat through it and even enjoyed it at times the content wasn't suitable for his age group and was a little old for my 6yo too.
The sound was way too loud in the cinema. I also found the depiction of the mother a little offensive (all the female characters were a bit lacking really particularly at the start), the father, and homosexuals don't come off much better. The overall story didn't hold a message I am particularly interested in discussing with my children. On the upside the music was fun and my 6yo was dancing in his seat by the end.
Sunshine Barry and the Disco Worms screens again on Saturday 13th June at 2.45pm, Greater Union George Street.

No comments:

Post a Comment