Wednesday 11 July 2007

Dougal the Garbage Dump Bear - NSW

Today my nearly five year old, two year old and I went to see Dougal the Garbage Dump Bear at the Opera House as part of their Baby Proms season. This is an adaption of the children’s book of the same name by Matt Dray. The season runs until July 22, tickets are $16. It’s a repeat season as last year’s season sold out.

It seems to me a hard ask to turn a 30 page book into a 35 minute children’s show but they manage with songs repeating and expanding on the original text and slides of the photographs in the book plus a few handy props. My nearly five year old enjoyed the show and came out with a number of questions about the differences between the stage show and the book. He was a bit disappointed that all 45 toys featured in the book weren’t shown on stage. My two year old enjoyed most of it. It was a bit long for him but he made it through.

I love the Baby Proms for their ability to allow children close access to orchestral music and for the whole excitement of the day trip to the Opera House. I don’t think this show makes the best use of the orchestra but if you’re willing to spend the money and be wrangled into seating position by the Opera House staff then I’m sure you’re child will have a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment